Thursday, March 29, 2012

DAY 6: Ready to get out of the hospital!


Day 6:
Thursday
March 29, 2012


It’s been almost one week since Josh’s accident and he is already getting ready to move to St. Lukes for the start of his rehab process tomorrow! What an incredible journey that he has gone through the last week and what a miracle it’s been to see my brother show that “Josh Pickens” personality once again.


Today I went down to the hospital at lunch time and when I walked into the room he was sleeping and getting some rest. Josh hasn’t had much rest in the last few days because every time he thinks that he has the chance to rest he gets woken up by a doctor or nurse. He was woken up right when my mom and I sat down quietly in the room. Once the doctor left my mom had to go back across the street to work. It was just Josh and I in the room which was nice.


We got to talking about everything that we wanted to do this summer, go on road trips and go indoor skydiving. I have always been scared to do stuff like that but right now I would go bungee jumping off of the highest building in the world if that’s what Josh wanted to go do. I don’t really have much to say today other than Josh continues to be in good spirits.


Josh is making a ton of progress, today I was sitting there talking to him and he went to get out of bed on his own to use the rest room and a loud sound started yelling throughout the room.  The alarm sounds when the weight of his body isn’t censored on the bed. It definitely scared me but on a more serious note Josh’s therapists have been saying how great he is doing. I know he is doing great! A week tomorrow from Josh’s accident and he is out and ready for rehab!


He appreciates all the visitors that he has been having the last few days but he gets head pain easily when he has a lot of interaction with people because his brain is trying so hard to keep up with everything that is going on. So we are trying to wait until Josh feels 100% to have a lot of interaction with people. He’s tired and wishes that he could be in downstairs and heal in his own house where he is comfortable, but he is making do with the hospital bed.


Josh has had a lot of support this last week, last night a hockey buddy, Todd Ulrich had the team that Josh was skating with prior to the accident that he had the team circle around the center of the ice and pray for Josh’s quick healing. He is definitely ready go get back on the ice and do what he loves again!


I’ve realized from this situation that my brother has gone through that you really do need to live in the moment because you never know when your life will flash before your eyes, or you come really close to losing someone that you truly care about.


I’m honestly so overwhelmed by how many people who are reading my blog! I really appreciate it and I never thought that a little college girl sharing her story about her brother would have so many readers. I really appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment